10 March 2012

Istanbul (Not Constantinople)


Mentions of Turkey might evoke dreamy thoughts of Turkish delight, kebabs, belly dancers and hookah. 

Last weekend, I jetted across the continent to spend a weekend in Istanbul. Though I added some basic research and much excitement to my basic Turkish knowledge, a feeling of minor culture shock could not have been avoided. That slight discomfort with a heaping side of thrill was exactly what I came to Europe to seek out.

The personas, the flavors, the colors, the architecture. Everything from the repeatedly impressive food (and a huge amount of it) to the beautiful sounds of prayer five times per day left me with an incredible admiration for the city and county. While trying to live in the moment, I still couldn't help but to compare each aspect to my experiences in Paris. Both are large cities full of diverse types of people. Both have a buzzing nightlife, as well as shopping and eating until your wallet is empty and your stomach is more than full. Both have distinctive personalities that residents ooze and tourists aim to get a taste of. 

It's those separate personalities that I continued to ponder throughout the weekend, and have continued to since landing back down in France. Beyond the easy traits that most could identify and even those values that only someone that has spent extended time in the city can pinpoint, the elusive magnetism of Paris, Istanbul, plus handfuls of other amazing places can't be merely described. It needs to be understood.

As each busy day goes by, I end the evenings thinking about the blur of events that went by. With every conversation with shopkeepers, non-verbal exchange on the metro, & hour on hour spent slowly sipping espresso, I'm delving deeper into my adaption to Parisian culture. In the same way that someone could never understand the culture of my central PA state university without seeing it themselves, becoming one with a new land can only be attempted with time, an open-mind, and a serving of patience. Once the bright-eyed attitude fades, it's only up to each individual to make their way.

Other than a fantastic weekend, a few more accessories to add to my collection, and a couple thousand extra calories consumed than healthy, I came away from Turkey with an even larger travel bug and craving to feel more of the world through my senses.

No comments:

Post a Comment