20 February 2012

Disconnect



I spent the past weekend- both in and traveling to- in the Umbria region of Italy. My destination was a tiny town called Perugia, famous for Amanda Knox and Baci chocolates. I visited a good friend of mine from college, so the trip was planned with seeing her in mind more than being a tourist in Perugia. I was thrilled to taste small-town living after spending a month in Paris, and know that I didn't appreciate the break from my life here until I returned.

Having internet at all in Perugia is a luxury reserved for schools and businesses; never apartments unless money isn't an object. My French phone was also inactive in Italy. Thus, once I quickly ran an e-errand using my friend's school's facilities, I was out-of-touch for all friends and family. "Roughing it" is a term I heard tossed around over the weekend, referring to their barely-heated homes, limited access to full-sized grocery stores, and disconnect from the outside, internet-focused world.

As someone who's constantly connected at home, spending this time in Paris, with a weak WiFi signal in my apartment and no data-plan smart-phone, has been a break. Taking it one step further was a breath of fresh air.

However, as soon as I landed and collapsed on my bed in central Paris, I was emailing, texting, posting galore. I suddenly stopped myself and realized how much of my need for cyber connection is just instinctual at this point. Instead of scolding myself and taking the opportunity to attempt to wean myself to a lower attachment, I decided to accept and embrace this part of me. I'm using it for positives-- keeping in touch with family and friends and progressing my future by maintaining a strong online presence, not to mention the great enjoyment I receive from indulging in my hobby that has become a passion.

No comments:

Post a Comment